Pages

Friday, July 22, 2016

30 day challenge, day 5: picture(s) of somewhere I have been

The Highlands

In 2012 I have been to Scotland on vacation. It was the most memorable vacation ever. The first excursion tour we did... And the last vacation with my father. He died soon after this vacation. It was wonderful. Usually we went to warm and dry climates. But here, it was green and gold and rich in colours. No beach vacation could match all the things we did and experienced on that one trip.
My brother, mother and me with the sign: Welcome to Scotland

It was a beautiful day and we could see for miles for a while.



On green glenns 


One of the last pictures of my father

 
I just like the bridge


We had to walk and drive a lot. Through and over hills and glenns. We saw such amazing waterfalls. Living in the Netherlands sure does leave you without waterfalls. The country is too flat. I adored the nature and sights in Scotland, especially the Highlands. I am not sure whether I will visit again. The memories are different now, 
The memories remind me of a famous old song. 

The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond


By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes,
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond,

Where me and my true love were ever wont to gae,

On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.

Chorus:

O ye'll tak' the high road, and I'll tak' the low road,

And I'll be in Scotland afore ye,
But me and my true love will never meet again,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.


'Twas there that we parted, in yon shady glen,

On the steep, steep side o' Ben Lomond,

Where in purple hue, the hieland hills we view,
And the moon coming out in the gloaming.


Chorus


The wee birdies sing and the wildflowers spring,

And in sunshine the waters are sleeping.

But the broken heart it kens, nae second spring again,
Though the waeful may cease frae their grieving.


If you do not know what it is about: The singer is actually dead when his love will find him. His soul will travel to Scotland, but he and his true love will not be together anymore on the banks of Loch Lomond, a lake. It reminds me of my father and that I will never meet him again, until I die.

However, I have many happy memories of this vacation. And I cherish them.

No comments: