Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

30 day challenge, day 17: someone I want to switch lives with for one day and why


Businessmen exchange Free Icon

Switch now!


If I had to switch lives for one day, I would not go to the dramatic world of a hungry child in a poor country, or a famous person. If I needed to swithc, I would do this with my girlfriend. Why? you ask. Because I want to understand her better.

To be in my shoes

When I do not understand someone I always try to imagine how it would be to be that person. However, it does not always work and especially when I cannot understand my girlfriend, it frustrates me. When she is depressed (and I mean really depressed, not an exaggeration) I cannot help her, because I do not know what to do. And every time I think I know, it is not correct and I feel I make it worse.
On the other hand, if she would be in my shoes, it would her at the same time to understand me better. Even though I had one of the easiest lives someone can imagine (enough money, understanding and loving family and friends, education etc) I also have my struggles and insecurities. I have been depressed as well and sometimes still fight with the negative thoughts of that time. 

Low high

Another thing that I want to understand is how the world is to her from her height. She is not that tall, especially compared to me. I am tall for a Dutch woman, not even speaking of women in general. Where she has trouble reaching things, I sometimes have to bend my back or duck out of the way for beams, chandeliers and stuff. 

I think it would be interesting to see things from another point of view. Both in body and perspective.

No comments: